Monday, April 7, 2014

Why do I weight train? Asking myself...




When it comes to fitness and training, which I deeply enjoy and use as a focal point to guide my daily life I sometimes wonder - “What do I truly want out of this lifestyle?” Am I doing this simply to improve my physique? Or, is there something more I want out of this?

It started the way it typically does for most people - I was a chubby child and once I joined the gym and witnessed the progress and positive changes experienced through aerobics classes I was hooked and wanted to continue getting slimmer, never being fat again and working towards a more perfect, ideal body. At 17 yr old I became a certified aerobic instructor and taught for 2 years at Lucille Roberts gym, a women's only gym in NY.  I then went to college and continued exercising and went through period of serious caloric restriction which I overcame. I wrote a long post about that experience (Anorexia) on my other page jarcila.blog.com.

It's been an 11 year journey since I started out. I still remember first measuring/weighing my food when I was 16yr old and my first food scale. Little did I know I would still be using the same cute reliable scale 10 years later traveling from New York to Dubai.

Fast-forward to today, I am the happiest with my body than ever, and probably the healthiest.

It's been a topsy turvy road yet the most important thing I realize is that I haven't reached my destination and I am on a quest of sorts. I want a leaner body composition (12-15% body Fat where am currently at 19%), tightness, definition, MUSCLES :-P

Baking protein cakes, packing my meals for the day, buying wholesome foods and trying as much as possible to limit the processed, packaged foods...and then training 5-6 days/wk. All basic components of living the 'fit, healthy' lifestyle. I wonder why I am so drawn to it and what I truly want from this approach. Some thoughts:

- I want to have a healthy, strong, vibrant body
- I want to look good, slim, fit, trim, sexy and toned for myself
- I like the structure and routine the training lifestyle necessitates if you want to do well at it
- it helps me keep things in a structure and hierarchy of priorities for my life, and basically I become my own priority which is healthy, emotionally speaking
- it is a challenge that I need to exhibit focus, consistency, practice and effort to achieve a specific physique goal
- I love how I feel moving my body in powerful ways and improving, enhancing my strength. As my physical strength grows so too does my self-esteem and emotional, mental security.

I like who and how I am at the gym, the feeling of strength and possibilities...Of taking control into your own hands to influence your life when many other aspects are out of our hands and when I've felt lonely in the past.

I've met like-minded friends at the gym and have a feeling of support and solidarity through the folks I see regularly.

Multifaceted motivation :) Haven't met my amazing man yet, I have faith he's on his way and we'll have a blast for the rest of our days ahead - Yay!

This is a nice one. Finding someone who loves the gym and nutrition as much as I do is GOLD :-) Hope I meet him soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment